12 December 2016

Crown Royal quilts

She's actually sewing! HST to be truthful.


To make this:
I never realized the popularity of Crown Royal bags! But plug Crown Royal bags into any search engine and boom! hundreds, if not thousands, of creative ideas will explode onto the screen.

I have been working on a quilt made from these bags and I have some words of advice if you are considering using these bags.
  1. These bags are similar to flannel, so be forewarned. I am not a fan of working with flannel.
  2. These bags will ravel if not cut on grain. Believe me when I say that they aren't cut on grain at whatever factory makes the bag.
  3. I would not make half square triangles from these bags. Ever. Again. Worst experience ever. I couldn't get points to match up and they were very stretchy.
  4. A pattern that features squares and/or strips is ideal to use with these bags.
I centered the Crown Royal stitching and then cut out a 4.5" square. The sides of the bag will generate a strip that is 2.5" wide and 27" long when trimmed down.

On this quilt, those dreaded HST were cut as a larger square (5.25") and layered with a same size square. Draw a line diagonally from one corner to another, sew .25" on each side of the line and cut apart.

The finished block size of the shown quilt is 12",  and the quilt is 72"x84". I had to open up a lot of bags to be able to get that plain purple.

I now have this top finished and it is layered with a fleece backing, no batting. It will make a very cozy Christmas gift for a certain someone.



So I mentioned that I opened a lot of bags. I had enough of the embroidered portions that I was able to make another quilt. This one measures 54x72 and is made with gold flannel. It is also backed with fleece and had no batting.


Both quilts were quilted on my Handi Quilter Sweet Sixteen.

8 comments:

  1. Well done!

    My sister made a CR quilt years ago, and she mentioned the same problems that you did. No HSTs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt is great! Where did you get all the bags? I don't even know what Crown Royal is? Whiskey? Bourbon? Cognac?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous6:31 PM

      I went to local bars and asked for them. They will give them to you

      Delete
  3. I had someone ask me to make him a Crown Royal quilt and he asked me to quote him a price. Based on experiences like your's, I quoted him a price to make it worth my while. He decided to just keep the bags . . . your two quilts look GREAT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They came out absolutely beautiful! You should be proud of yourself for sticking to the HST one and finishing it! Have you sent a photo to the maker of Crown Royal? XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could you give me the name of this pattern?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda. There is no pattern. It is a 9-patch variation with alternating plain blocks. Very easy to do.

      Delete
    2. The other one is a friendship star with corner triangles.

      Delete