10 February 2009

The Way To A Man's Heart

354389347
Several years ago the oven light started to stay on a lot. Replacing the bulb all the time was not a good option and the repairman said that the door was warped and would not close properly. The oven temperature could no longer be trusted so a stand alone oven thermometer was purchased. To cook anything in the oven, the cooking temperature was adjusted higher by 25 degrees.

A cookie monster lives in my house and it's name is CarGuy. Every week I bake up a batch cookies. The last several batches have been a struggle to get right. I thought that maybe the door had warped further but CarGuy did not believe it was the door but he gave no further thought (or help) on what the problem could rightly be.

Then came the tuna casserole. The oven temp was set 25 degrees higher to compensate for the warped door and the casserole baked for 30 minutes. Supper was served. With the first bite, I knew. I looked at CarGuy and asked "Is your's cold?". He nodded and I started to whinge about the oven as I popped the casserole into the microwave. Still no response from him.

I bought a new oven thermometer and installed it in place of the old one. The oven now had a 50 degree difference in temperature. Ackkk! The next batch of cookies were made the standard way except I leaned against the door to keep it closed. BTW, a good book comes in handy for this type of cooking. Sunday, another batch of cookies was made but I decided that I was not going to stand at the oven while they baked. The resulting cookies had underdone centers and overdone edges. CarGuy was not happy that his cookies changed.

I gave him an ultimatum: either fix the oven (new door hinge and oven element) or buy a new stove. One or the other. There will be no baking until something happens. He immediately googled parts for the range.

I'll keep you posted.

16 comments:

  1. You know...things have to affect them before they make a move sometimes!! Maybe you'll get a new oven out of the deal. That might be nice too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes you just gotta hit 'em where it hurts to get any action. I think you are on the right path *s*

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes! good job you! withold the goodies. let me know how it works. mine has the same problem, but I can at least keep the door shut by using the latch that I'm supposed to use when it's in the cleaning cycle. which, by the way, has never worked properly either. sigh. poor us huh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That would be irritating to deal with - how sweet of you to keep trying, even if it meant holding the door closed. I'm glad you are taking action, and wish you many cookies in your future that look like the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Non working oven's are the worst. Best wishes for a speedy repair. Now that you have Carguy on board.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the smile! Hope you get a fancy new oven!! Our oven was bought second hand 18 years ago and is still hanging in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This made me laugh. Oh yes, I know that problem!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have thought of another solution. CarGuy aka Cookie Monster could do the required leaning on the oven door when cookies are being baked.!
    good luck with getting that new oven.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Inquiring minds want to know - did you get a new oven? Or get the door fixed?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never even HEARD of an oven door warping? Ah ha, a new reason to sell you another one??? Good luck with the parts, or with a new oven.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I once had an oven like that - I would wedge a flexible butter knife under the handle then into the gap between the door and the rest of the stove. It worked pretty well at keeping the door closed! Witholding of cookies sounds like just the motivation he needs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been reading your blog and thought I would just drop in and wish you a Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Warped oven door? Very odd. Your fellow could stand and hold the oven door closed while you are baking.
    My mother's oven door lost its inside spring so it fell open and would not shut. My father was not a handy person. We we could not afford a new stove. My mother rigged up a device made from a screen door spring. She hooked one end at the back of the stove then brought it around and hooked the front end over the oven handle. (Bungie cords had not been invented yet.)
    The spring thing worked for years.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Paula,
    It sounds like you have gone the extra mile to make it work. Sometimes you just have to fork over the dough in order to get cookies :O)

    Anyway hope you have solved your oven dilemma..

    Regards,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  15. An ultimatum such as this works wonders. Perfect cookies are undoubtedly in Carguy's immediate future!

    ReplyDelete
  16. If it affected my cookies I'd buy a new oven!! Immediately. Also - thats kind of an interesting way to heat the house...

    ReplyDelete