16 December 2009
Donation Quilt (for the Cure - 2010 version)
There is an area motorcycle Poker Run that benefits the Susan G. Koman foundation. It has been on hiatus for a couple of years but started up again last year. There is auction after the run and I used to donate one of these quilts. This is next year's quilt.
For the backing, I cut 10.5" squares. Now THIS method uses stash! I just made sure I didn't have like next to like and didn't stress if there was a darker area. This method also generated a lot of scraps for the paintbucket quilts, so there are some of those in my sewing future.
This was tied with some black wool yarn and then stitched in the ditch around the red border. Binding will be more of that black Kona cotton. I like to use wool yarn because when it is washed, the wool felts into little balls that will never, ever come untied. In the past, when I used crochet cotton, I have had some come untied. The quilts were returned to me for repair, so I started to do it this way and have not made a repair since.
But during the fabric pull to make this backing, I was really surprised at the quantity of pastel sweet prints that I found in the stash. A lot. They will make wonderful lights in a scrap quilt, so I can see them being used in the paintbucket quilts too.
Ah, the possibilities!