01 May 2011

Applique

Did you ever have one of THOSE days? I've had several. I didn't realize it at the time I was working on all of those flowers for the Hugs and Kisses quilt, but I did the wrong flower for the sashing cornerstones. I made the small flower instead of the larger one.

But wait! It gets worse!

Forging ahead, I made the larger flower for the border, thinking it would work. I also used the wrong fabric since the border flowers should be dark blue. Ha! look at this photo. I think it looks a bit like staring eyes or boobs, or boobs staring at you. I don't want a whole quilt of this mistake staring at me *smile*. But I also don't want to remove the cornerstone flowers and put the larger ones on and THEN remake the ones for the border.



It's design decision time. What is inherently bothering me about this is the close proximity of the same shape repeated over and over. After playing with several different elements and fabrics, I have decided to add three teardrop shaped leaves (two big one small) that are used elsewhere in the quilt in the bright green fabric. It removes the boob looking thing and also changes the color.

The next time you see this quilt, it will be a completed top ready for quilting. Now the quilting is a whole 'nother thing.

14 comments:

  1. Oh, yes, I see your point! But sounds like a good solution. I love your white on white background fabric, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an excellent solution to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really made me chuckle with this post. I read it a few times just to get another smile. As always, we quilters figure our way out of situations quite well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect solution... love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good solution. I can see how this could happen - easily if it were me, lol, I do have my "quilt issues" from time to time. Good save! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are the things that make a quilt our very own - looking forward to our first full view.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are nothing if we're not creative and inventive all for the betterment of our art. Well done, Paula, can't wait to see it all worked out, you came up with a terrific solution.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How does carguy feel about the boobie quilt? LOL. your idea with the leaves should remedy the problem but what a pain!

    sorry to hear your auntie is not doing well, she and you are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL, you rock! :) I always enjoy reading your solutions to "sticky" situations and seeing your end results!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're making progress on those flowers, they're going to be fine. I made yellow flowers that end up looking like fried eggs, myself

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good call. It is good that you caught it before you finished the quilt. Your solution sounds like just the right thing, and it will make the quilt more personally yours.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, I agree! What if you put the circles and center non-centered? Does that change the boob-look! 8-))

    When I first did free-form machine quilting, a LOT of it looked like male you-know-what, that my DH was kind enough to point out! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks great to me!
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like you came up with a great solution.

    ReplyDelete