04 June 2011

Tree of Life

Want to buy this quilt? You can! Click on the photo and it will take you to the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative. The Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative (www.AlzQuilts.org) is a national, grassroots charity whose mission is to raise awareness and fund research. The AAQI auctions and sells donated quilts, and sponsors a national touring exhibit of quilts about Alzheimer's. The AAQI has raised more than $552,000 since January 2006.


Tree of Life

Materials/techniques.:
• Vintage "Tree of Life" Jacobean wool crewel work on linen
• Polyester felt for batting
• clear nylon thread
• nylon tulle
• 100% cotton slub muslin
• 100% cotton candlewick thread

This piece of needlework was originally done by my Aunt back in the resurgence of crewel work in the late 1960s to early 1970s. Even though the linen is disintegrating it was never thrown away but moved from her sewing room into mine until it found new life in this Alzheimer's Priority Quilt. Alzheimer's disease causes gaps and holes in our memories and minds, eating away at the very fabric of our lives, not unlike the ravages of time upon this piece of linen.

The Tree of Life was a favorite motif of the Jacobean era and also during the resurgence in the last century. The clear nylon thread was used to machine free motion stitch around the motifs to anchor them on the quilt. Other than that, this little 9"x10" Priority Quilt is done totally by hand.

8 comments:

  1. What incredible embroidery... and what a wonderful way to preserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is just wonderful stichery!! Hope you are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's beautiful - and a great way to preserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's really quite special , Paula. I have it added to our own AAQI web page and it will soon also appear at our Liberated Challenge blog page too.

    I started that backup blog when I gave Tonya Riccuci back the original Liberated Quilting blog that Clare ran... as I had managed to dominate it for over a year and I thought that was long enough ;)

    I'm actually thinking of opening up my current challenge blog to all of you quilters so you can help me describe your own progress and final work.

    I am maintaining so many web pages, blogs, and databases now my mind is spinning ;) Would you be willing to even just cut and past this post of yours onto a new post page there if I give you the password and add you in as a blogger? Otherwise, I'll cut and paste it in..more fun if I have help though;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paula, love what you did! Both the quilt AND letting people know it's for sale!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have several pieces that my grandmother did many years ago as well but I could never figure out what to do with them. Now I do, what a great idea. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful piece!

    ReplyDelete