18 January 2013

On The Needles January 18, 2013


Two projects! Count 'em. Do you recognize the yarn in the top photo? It's that 100% alpaca used for the Mama Bear Sweater. Now that was a bad decision. This yarn happens to be a DK weight and the sweater called for worsted. To make matters worse, alpaca grows. By the end of the day this sweater was halfway down to my knees, no joke. It didn't help that the sweater started out too big because I made the wrong size. So I frogged it. The dilemma was to come up with something to make using a lot of yarn and not worry that it stretched. Since I needed a lightweight, but warm, blanket in the camping trailer I decided to knit one. I also realized that I had 2 different dye lots, so I've been working stripes. See them? This alpaca felts wonderfully, so I've been doing spit splices as I go. I do believe I've landed on the perfect project for this yarn as it is keeping me wonderfully warm as I knit.


And these are the ever-present socks. I couldn't haul the blanket around so socks got cast on and I only seem to work on them away from home.

I'm linking up to JudyL at Patchwork Times.



12 comments:

  1. You are just my knitting hero - I love the stripes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two great projects - the blanket is gorgeous and the stripes are the perfect solution to the two dye lots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that you are knitting a blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those stripes and shades of red! It should make a nice blanket. Those new socks are a fun color, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so talented Paula. Love the blanket and the second project...Marathon sock yarn reminds me of some of my favorite threads that I don't want to use up on a quilt...LOL
    Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good save of your yarn! I am sure the blanket will be very snuggly! I like your sock yarn color. I like how portable socks are too - they are my favorite knitting project. Plus - I don't need to bring the pattern with me! Cheers! Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great use of the yarn. I like the striping of your sock yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the knit blanket and the socks are a nice color too. So are you going to make the Mama Bear in another yarn?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the color! I have a similar problem with my Zuma Tunic, I made it sit in the corner to think about what it was done, and I'm resting.
    *grin*
    vicki

    ReplyDelete
  10. never heard of spit splices (thanks for the link)! AWESOME! I would totally do that! thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You inspire me, yet again! Sock making is on my wanna do list now. I should try this yarn. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You inspire me, yet again! Sock making is on my wanna do list now. I should try this yarn. Love it!

    ReplyDelete