13 August 2014

My Old Typewriter

I love this thing!

When I inherited it the keys barely worked, but the rest of it was in pristine condition (Auntie took care of her things). The keys were so gummed up that it took too much pressure to get them to move. And the ribbon had seen a lot of use and re-use.

After googling how (and what to use) to clean it I set to work. It took several different sessions, but I finally got the keys to move easily. Yay!



The next step was to find a ribbon. Did you know you can still purchase them? Online, of course, since there isn't any place around here that even sells typewriters let alone supplies.


I don't know why I spent so much time on this project but it is very satisfying to be able to pull this old portable typewriter out, open up the case and roll a form into the platen and start typing. I suppose this item could be classified as a dusty old thing, but when the zombie apocalypse comes I can type up legible warnings. ☺

8 comments:

  1. How cool that you rescued/restored this wonderful old typewriter! I still miss doing the "return" thing and playing with getting the paper aligned... good memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the feel and sound of a working typewriter. It brings back wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother and father worked for Smith Corona and built typewriters! My mother used to do repair. She would be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a wonderful post! When I was a little girl I loved visiting my aunt and uncle who had a typewriter tucked away in their "back room" (storage closet) that I was allowed to type on; how I treasure that memory, thanks for bringing it to the forefront of my mind today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE it! good memories

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sure brings back memories!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I, too, love old typewriters. How wonderful that you have this one back in working order!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fun.. There is something special about getting the "dusty old things" of the past working again :-)

    ReplyDelete