24 October 2014

OTN Oct 24, 2014

I haven't done one of these posts in a while. It's not that I haven't been knitting, I have! But I had to take a small hiatus when I burned the index finger and thumb of both hands doing something stupid. As the skin healed, I found that the pointy ends of knitting needles wasn't fun to deal with. But I am making up for lost time now. In fact there are two different pairs of socks in the works, but I don't have photos of them at the moment. I do, however, have photos of two recent finishes.


DSC_2396002
The mittens are for me. I did a slip stitch on the thumb and hand to make them a bit thicker and, therefore, warmer.

DSC_2397003

You'll have to pardon the hat, I haven't had time to block it yet. These items were made from the same yarn. This first hat has a doubled brim. I folded a wide brim in half and then picked up the stitches and knit the rest of the hat.

And here is the third skein worked up into another hat. This hat is knit in a K1P1 rib all the way through.
DSC_2406001

Then I had this somewhat large ball of leftover yarn, so I knit another hat! Don't you love the way the yarn pooled differently in each hat?
DSC_2405001

The hats are going to the Wounded Knee School in South Dakota. I belong to the For the Children of Pine Ridge group on Ravelry and have found it is a good outlet for my knitting: even the wool items. If you are interested in more information and aren't a member of Ravelry you can email me and I'll fill you in.

I am linking up to Judy at PatchworkTimes for On The Needles Friday.


6 comments:

  1. It is amazing how each hat is different. If I didn't know better, I'd think they were made with different yarns. Thank you for sharing your gift of knitting with others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seem to be having problems again with comments, I'm using my iPad and I have to make sure I'm signed in to google or my comment goes off into the infinity of the Internet world lol.
    I love the wool you've chosen, can sympathise with painful fingers I have a paper cut on my index finger and keep catching it.

    Enjoy your weekend

    Peg x

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about your fingers! Love the hats, all of them! The recipients will, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't you clever to slip stitch. I never would have thought of that, but I will "steal" your idea!

    I like knitting for Pine Ridge, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your hats are great looking and I love the different way they look with that yarn. Thanks for knitting for others. I may do that in the future, after I learn more. Right now I'm consumed with quilting for others.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That blue yarn is lovely! I think I need to cast on another hat.

    ReplyDelete