25 May 2017

I made a stencil

I normally hand cut my stencils using quilters template medium and an craft knife. I learned how to do this way back in the dark ages of my art classes at college. Using the template medium, I have discovered, makes for some very rough and jerky edges. For one of a kind stencils that won't be used more than once or twice, I will cut them out of freezer paper.

But this is a new method that I tried!

First you need a pattern. This was one I drew onto white paper.

Then you need to transfer it to an over head transparency. Since this was larger than an 8.5x11 sheet of transparency film I laid a piece of 4 gauge clear vinyl over my drawing and traced it using a black Sparpie.
I then used a product called EZ Screen and following the directions I got this lovely screen for use with a pounce pad!
Voila! Just a quick test on some black batting. I think I like this technique.

4 comments:

  1. What a great idea. I too still use an xacto knife to make some stencils. It's nice to know there are other options. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are smart! Well done, Paula!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that you find a way to get the job done, whatever that may be. 👏

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! Well done!

    ReplyDelete