03 October 2020

Fires in my Hood


 Ashy Skies Return, Cameron Peak Fire Grows Close to 35,000 Acres

Since we last talked, a lot has happened. I should have held onto to June's bright blue skies. Why? Because shortly after July 4th the Western United States started to burn. One can't go outside because of the ash and particulates in the air. The husband and I were talking this morning how it doesn't feel like we've had any sunny days this summer. Of course, summer is a relative term: I'm talking August and September here.

I leave my gardening shoes outside on the deck and one morning I awoke to all this ash and burned pine needles inside them. 

 


This is the fire that is only 60 miles from my house. At the time of this photo it was only 30,000 acres burned. Now it is topping 111,000 acres and is only 27% contained.

And now a large fire in Wyoming and grown and crossed the Wyoming/Colorado border into Colorado. It has grown larger than the Cameron Peak fire. If they combine...


6 comments:

  1. You’ve got to be really worn down by the bad air quality. Wouldn’t it be nice if there could be a heavy snowfall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Even though the whole world has focused on the pandemic, the other troubles in the world also continue on, worse than ever. I hope you and yours and your belongings are able to stay out of trouble. I can make space for you here if you want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there -- hoping the fires do NOT combine into the monster that would be created.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh. The fires have been terrible this year! Here's hoping to clear skies soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending you love and prayers and all the hopes and wishes in the world that you will be ok as well as your house. My daughter's Beachy Creek Fire in Oregon got to just up her ridge 1/4 mile away. Everything was scorched on the hill and covered with ash inside and out of their house but it survived. Just down the road places were burned to the ground not many miles away a town destroyed. Horrible scary I know. They and friends evacuated to our house for 9 days. They left with clothes on their backs. Hoping all will be well, truly!!!!!

    ReplyDelete