07 April 2006

Repairing a quilt

Auntie had this quilt that she made in the 1970's. She hand pieced it but it was not really quilted -- only bound at the edges with blanket binding. It was filthy because she never washed it; she thought she had used a wool batt inside. I brought it home and soaked it in Oxyclean. What a world of difference! But. There was a lot of sun damage at one end and some of it fell apart. So, I took it apart (it did not have a wool batt but a poly batt), discarded the batt, the backing and the blanket binding. I found a backing for it and purchased enough to make a proper binding too. Then I studied the top. Everywhere there was a problem I place a large safety pin. I have a lot of repair work to do. She made this out of scraps of muu-muu fabrics from the 1960's and 1970's that someone from Hawaii had given her. I do not have access to that type of fabric so I'll make do with cotton. Cotton in really bright colors. I have a lot of hand work ahead of me. Sigh.



2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:12 PM

    Wasn't that the quilt she made for Gramps after we painted his living room that lovely shade of orange. I know he had pillows like that and I thought he had a quilt also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very possible. I will have to ask her. I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete