09 May 2006
I'm trying to use up some of my fabric stash.
These past several weeks I have been working on a child's quilt using some 6" squares I purchased from a mail-order quilt store. There were 60 of them and to make a decent sized quilt I needed to cut more from the stash. As I was rumaging I found all these muslin rectangles cut into 3x4" blocks. I cut them down to squares and sewed them onto the larger squares. I don't like this quilt. I'm going to finish it and then give it away. I believe it is the squares I purchased that is making this thing so hard for me to like. I have the top and bottom border left to put on and then I'll donate the top to my guild's charity program. We have a lot of longarm quilters who like to practice on the charity quilts, so it will get quilted and gifted.
**Note: It is now later in the day since I wrote the above paragraph. I have finished the borders. I still don't like the quilt, but it isn't as bad as before. The outer blue border helped pull it all together. I was going to put a green on it, but this blue is here and there throughout the blocks and putting it on the outer border it really helped.**
I did all the fabric cutting last evening on a Yellow Brick Road quilt. This will be using some of those shabby chic floral type fabrics.
I also pulled the fabrics for a Double Irish Chain that will have some embroidered blocks in it.
I won't be able to piece these for a while because I need to take my sewing machine into the repair shop for a tune up. It's been about 2 years since the last time it was in, and I noticed last evening that it is getting quite noisy and the stitches are not really very straight. I have another machine I'll use in the meantime.