19 January 2007

Coincidence?

223676246

It's funny what comes your way, isn't it? Just a few posts ago I was writing about some string-pieced diamonds that had attached themselves to my UFO (unfinished object) stash. And then several days ago a friend called and asked my to swing by her place of employment because a gal there had a quilt she wanted dated. OK.

I just got back. The quilt you see here is one that she believes her grandmother started, but she really has no history of it. I told her that a quilt is dated by the newest fabric in it. Unfortunately, that turned out to be the backing. It was a baby blue Palencia broadcloth. Remember that stuff? It pilled if you even looked at it. Very popular in the late 1960s and into the 1970s. I think you can still find some of the stuff today. I say unfortunate because the top is such a beautiful example of a depression era quilt. It included shirtings and other fabrics that were probably from her great-grandma's scrapbag. There were pieces from feedsacks and dress goods. There were even several 1.5" half-square triangle blocks pieced into the diamonds. The cheddar just made the whole top sing! The quilting was mediocre. It does need a good cleaning and I instructed her how to do so without damaging the quilt. I was especially concerned with the turkey red in it, because, frankly, it looked like newer fabric that had not been washed or used.

A nice example of string-pieced diamonds.

9 comments:

  1. It is a pretty quilt. It is a pretty interesting debate - should you save grandma's old quilt top and leave it that way to preserve its value, or do you finish it and continue the quilt story. Of course, it would be good to use the best fabric and best workmanship possible to honor the legacy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even if the dating news wasn't what she wanted to hear -- the top is wonderful. It just looks happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh it is a beautiful quilt! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it certainly is a lovely quilt. I would love to make a string quilt like that one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a pretty quilt. I don't know what she was hoping for in dating it, but she should love the quilt as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you date quilts. That's incredible! Beautiful quilt. I have about 8 that I "think" my gradmother made...not sure. They were in Mother's house when she died.

    Yes, I am consciously slowing down, but that somethings ups the old BP, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:32 AM

    It's a beautiful quilt, one I would cherish for it's history, including the poor fabric choice of the backing, it's a family treasure! How lucky for her to have it :).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't know that a quilt was dated that way. It would be better to not finish the old quilts I guess. But then it is much nicer to use them rather than having them sit in boxes getting musty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. fgHey, I came to visit courtesy of the Bent Needle. that string star is a beauty and you're right that cheddar completely sings.

    ReplyDelete