21 January 2007

An 'Aha!' Moment

224199239
I don't know about you, but I like the sandpaper circles that you can put on the underside of an OmniGrid rotary cutting ruler. You know, the yellow and black ones. There is a drawback to these sandpaper circles, though. They are big and hard to see through.

Yes, I've tried that clear vinyl that clings by static. My ruler still slipped.

Here's my solution:
  • a package of self-adhesive 220 grit fine sandpaper
  • a .25" hole punch
  • a .125" hole punch
  • a pair of tweezers
The .25" hole punch cuts out a circle the exact size of the circled markings on the ruler. The .125" hole punch cuts out a circle the size needed to go down the diagonal of the square rulers. If you peel off the backing off the sandpaper dot and stick it on the backside of the ruler right at the yellow dot of the ruler (the tweezers are really handy at this point) the sandpaper cannot be seen from the right side of the ruler.

Best of all, it doesn't slip.

7 comments:

  1. Very clever -- thanks for sharing a great idea. I have wanted a no-skid ruler, but balked at all the options available on the market. This is a perfect solution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very clever. I'll have to try that trick out myself. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aha! Great solution. Now to find that adhesive sandpaper. Where did you find it? I have never heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:01 AM

    Another thought is to check at your local skateboarding shop. They have peel-and-stick clear vinyl grippy stuff that kids use to get traction on their boards. The stuff I got came in a big-ish sheet, but a few friends went in on it with me and we did all of our collective rulers (six people, three or four rulers each) for $20CDN. With lots left over, for future rulers. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very smart! May have to give that a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good idea. I've been using skateboard grip tape in clear for 20 years or so. =) This might be better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also use the skateboard grip - you can buy it in clear, as well as colours. It'll hold a ruler EXACTLY where you place it and it takes a really long time to wear smooth. I'm still working on my first sheet that I bought 3 years ago, and we used part of it to fix one of my boys' skate decks!

    ReplyDelete