12 October 2007

Homespun BOM: Darting Birds

Not a very inspiring title, is it? Libby at A Simple Girl reminded me that I should show all the Block of the Month blocks as I finish them. My mini group is called the Material Girls, BTW, and each month, starting last month, someone brings directions for a block that the others are to make using their own fabrics. At the end of the year, we will have 12 12" blocks. I had those 3 bolts of homespun and decided to use them. And because I want a dolly quilt I am also doing a 6" finished block too. Actually, I'm being slightly contrary. One gal last month said that the blocks must finish 12". My first reaction was why? We're not swapping are we? Ergo: the 6" blocks.

This first block is called Darting Birds and I believe the pattern was found on Marsha Hohn's Quilter's Cache site.

One of the stipulations in this BOM is that the blocks will need to be set straight and not on-point. So I found and fell in love with the setting in a BOM kit in the most recent Keepsake Quilting catalog. It's just an alternate block, which is a log cabin block. Question: if your finished log cabin block is 12" what is a good size to cut the strips for the logs? How many logs deep per block? I actually like the look of a smaller log, but I'll be doing that on the dolly quilt. Is a 2" log clunky?

Here's the plan: every month I'll post the completed block for that month. OK?

12 comments:

  1. That sounds like a good plan to me. I think 2 inches is too big for a 6 inch block. Since you need fabric on both sides of the square, that would be like one round, give or take seam allowance. If you mean 2 inches cut, that is still only two rounds, which I guess wouldn't be too bad. How about making a sample block, and seeing how it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What cool blocks - the homespun always looks so friendly and warm.

    Two inch logs seems a little bit large to me. I like 1 inc (finished) and sometimes, I'm thinking even less, like 3/4 inch, although it takes forever! Mary Ellen Hopkins says if you make a unit large, "the fabric has to do the talking", but if it's small, you can use almost anything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is going to be fun to watch this quilt emerge. I love the fabrics you have chosen. The doll quilt is sure a cute idea. I have been doing something similar with some online friends. You have given me a great idea as how to set them. I think that 2 inch might be to big, how about 1 1/2 inches?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the block! Homespun is my fav. So country looking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This block is really lovely and I think it is cool that you will have the larger and the smaller version of each block. That is a great personal challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm - they look pretty darned good to me. Oh and I see you have a bit of the sassy streak . . . I would have felt challenged to make a ripple in the water, too, over the 12" comment from the leader *s* Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you'll have two quilts when the twelve months are done! I love the little ones, the smaller the better. The homespun fabric look terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh it will be fun to see the progress! And I love the homespun look! I made a quilt with those blocks based off an antique quilt and the name of it is called "Men at work"! Because they look like the men on the men at work signs for construction!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely Blocks.
    Kind regards.

    Sonnja

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your block! That's a terrific idea! My sewing group and I did a very long (18 month) block exchange a couple of years ago and then an 8 month exchange. We want to do an exchange again but I think the idea of making the same blocks 8 times is not very appealing - love the block pattern exchange idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your homespun block looks great; it looks just right with that neat pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  12. BOM project you mention is Ramblin Rose Meets Jamestown. Templates are used to accomplish the various blocks. I also purchased two log cabin rulers to make the log cabin portion of this quilt...wonderful tool. You might check with this shop http://www.fireflyquiltshop.com/
    for more info. regarding block size as well as the finishing kit which is made up of those log cabin squares you mentioned, or, check out the Marti Mitchell web site for BOM and rulers. :) Good luck and happy quilting!

    ReplyDelete