02 January 2009

Quilt Edgings Part 1

347075282
Do you always use binding on your quilts? Have you ever tried something different? I have tried several different things. This post starts with 2 of the easier ones. The first photo is my old standby utility quilt. Instead of binding, I pulled the backing over to the front. I cut the batting to be the same width (2.5") as the logs in the log cabin and then cut the backing 3" to give myself enough to bring to the front and a seam allowance to fold under.

347075275

This next image is another treatment that I tried. I liked it so much I did it on another quilt too. It gives a very feminine touch to a quilt. This is purchased eyelet lace that has been basted to the top by matching the upper edge of the eyelet to the outer edge of the quilt top. Since the plan was to tie this quilt, I layered the batting, then the quilt top right side up, then the backing right side down and stitched around the outside edge leaving an opening to turn it right side out. Once that was done, I slip-stitched the opening closed and tied the quilt. It is a nice finish and easy to do.

11 comments:

  1. I admit that I am a traditionalist and always do binding. Probably because be the time I get to binding my creativity has waned and I just want to get it done! But my Great-Grandmother used to do almost all of hers the way you did the first example. Sometimes she would fold the top to the back but it's the same tchnique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both seem to be a good plan depending on the quilt. I have used the first method but I never thought of the second one. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like both ideas but have only tried the first. Binding is not my friend but I try.....Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I have successfully used the method bringing the backing around to the front, on my yellow and blue hearts quilt. Big time saver.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to see how you do the corner on the first case where you brought it to the front. Did you just finish it off with a square or did you fold it to look like a miter. Just curious. I have seen antique quilts with the backing brought to the front and have always thought about trying it, but usually forget when I am making a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have tried several different methods, including double binding, single binding, turning the backing to the front and front to the back. I really love the eyelet lace idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My first 'official' quilt has an eyelet finish. I made it for The Princess as a baby quilt. I've not shown it before . . . . it's around here somewhere in a box. It's a nice, feminine finish. Thanks for reminding *s*

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have done the backing to the front thing a time or two, and the eyelet is soooooooooooo sweet looking!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do binding, binding, binding. I think I once finished an embroidered baby quilt with lace. That's got to be 20 years ago. Your lace finish looks so lovely. It would be nice on an applique quilt, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Someone told me that the first way you showed used to be very common. It would use less fabric. Does it wear well? I've never seen the lace one, that's neat!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the eyelet, it is something I would never have thought of. It's delicate without looking fussy.
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete