23 January 2011

Double 4-Patch Update

394773708

I committed to finish one UFO by June of this year, 2011, at Myra's PhD Challenge. Why only one? Because this quilt is a barter quilt and I have already received the bronze sculpture. It is hard to get a quilt done quickly when one works outside the home so I am focusing all my attention on this one quilt. I usually only get one good day a week at the sewing machine, so I try to take advantage of that one day.

Last weekend I was able to get all the blocks constructed for the quilt. My client wanted 'earthy' colors so I raided my stash and came up with greens, blacks, dark grays, browns, golds, blues and dark reds for the blocks. 140 blocks that will finish at 8".

Because of this size of this thing and since I am doing the quilting on my domestic sewing machine, I will have to do a divide and conquer and quilt it in sections. I have gotten one quadrant totally put together and have another quadrant placed on the design wall ready to sew together. I am quite pleased with the way the first quadrant looks. I am wondering about that one light green block in the second quadrant. I'll have to keep looking at it.

Can you tell that the layout is in the barn raising style?

394773705

19 comments:

  1. That is going to be a very pretty quilt when it's all together. Very visually interesting because of the lights and darks and the scrappiness of it. I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is starting to look great. Like the scrapy look. Always feels so good to finish a UFO.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's going to be stunning! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always found this pattern very appealing -- I love the pull of the lines. I think that light green adds some interest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That light green sure does stick out like a sore thumb.

    I can see the barn raising though...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice. Try moving the light green block around so it is not next to a dark block. It may blend better that way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the little green does stick out as well, but you need a zinger block sometimes and it fits well with the rest of the scrapyness going on :)

    He is going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is coming along quite nicely. I wouldn't have noticed the green block if you hadn't pointed it out.

    I think the green color adds sparkle, but it does make the eye work harder to stay along the path. I don't think the issue is the lightness of the green, but not enough contrast between the two light greens within the block. It is the only block in the set where the four patch is obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like this alot but I would remove the light green block or move it to a place where it is not surrounded with really dark blocks.

    Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's looking great Paula. I think I would be concerned about the one light green one also. It's fine if you can "see it" and move on, but if you eye keeps coming back to it, I'd say try the quilt without it in there.
    I've found if you don't like a certain thing about your "top" you won't like it any better as a quilt. Might as well deal with it before it's more permanent. Really is going to be a beauty! Love those simple patterns with strong diagonals! Hugs, Finn

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've made this before and it always turns out good.
    Wait until you get all of the blocks put together. Is it going to be a bed quilt or something hanging...is the green really going to be that noticeable?

    ReplyDelete
  12. 140 blocks! that's a lot of quilt. It looks great so far--keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now I know what a Barn Raising looks like and I really do like this one! I know it's going to be absolutely gorgeous. It is going to be stunning. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummy! And that green . . . . well, for me it's my favorite. I find it hard to pass up a good green *s*

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that pattern, Paula. Your blocks and sections are looking really good.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's beautiful - you are wise to quilt it in quadrants. I would never have thought of that. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the layout of the blocks. I love the scrapiness of the blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's fabulous...love it! The variety of colour and fabrics is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sighhhh, this is another one I've wanted to do. Yours is looking so cozy.

    ReplyDelete