We are not sure which idea worked because we did it in this order:
1. Filled in one of two of the entrances to the den.
2. Lightly scattered moth balls* around the filled in entrance and side of the garden shed
3. Lightly scattered moth balls* around two other sides of the garden shed leaving only the open den entrance free.
4. Lots of movement, noise and lights around the shed.
Yesterday at dusk, I scattered flour around the den entrance to see if a critter came or went. This morning there were NO tracks at all. Yipee! And most importantly, no smell. So today, we will fill in the entrance, scatter some more moth balls* and put down some chicken wire.
And then I get to do damage control in the garden (what garden?) thanks to 8 days of daily torrential downpours that included hail.
* Remember a little bit of moth balls goes a long, long way.