10 January 2012

Old Textiles

The only quilt shown at the lecture was made from layers and layers
of old saris using reverse applique and a big stitch quilting.
The batting is assumed to be more saris.

I attended a wonderful lecture last evening. It was the January program of  The Rocky Mountain Creative Quilters. Linda Carlson, Curator of the Avenir Museum at CSU's University Center for the Arts discussed and showed special items from their collection that illustrated the rich history of textiles as it pertains to quilting and creating with fabric. There was yardage and garments and other special items that included laces and molas, ikat and mudcloth . I learned tidbits of information like the style of a Japanese kimono probably relates to traditional Mongol clothing. And the early tie dyes that were shown and discussed were astounding!


Laying on top of various embroidered saris,
this Pre-Columbian textile was astonishing in it's complexity.
The weaver spun the cotton using only her fingers and thigh.

If you ever get the chance to attend something like this and you are really into textiles, and what quilter isn't into textiles, I urge you to go!

5 comments:

  1. It sounds fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This sounds so totally cool. Thanks for sharing. I totally dig this kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating! I have found so many tie-ins and connections between different cultures....no wonder our hearts beat faster when we see so many textiles,textures, and designs that we immediately just love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh how I wish I could have attended as well....
    Thanks for sharing.
    I would love to make a quilt from Kimonos or Saris would be a challenge but fun
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fascinating lecture, I'm sure. I love those types of programs, I'm happy that you attended and shared this wealth with us.

    ReplyDelete