07 March 2014

On The Needles: Old Knitting


As a new bride 42 years ago, I met my best BFF. We clicked, you know? And we decided to each knit a sweater for ourselves using the same pattern. 42 years ago, the yarn choices were quite limited and I imagine the acrylic yarn for this sweater came from the local Ben Franklin store or maybe even Woolworth's 5 & 10. My choice was orange?? wth? and hers was green. The pattern came from a magazine that I owned and we were off! Believe it or not, I still have that magazine on my pattern shelf.

Over the years, this sweater would pop into my mind now and then and I would wonder what happened to it. The other day it arrived in the mail. Surprise!! I had forgotten I gave it to my BFF because the color was more appropriate for her than this pink-skinned body. Now it's back in my possession. Wish I could wear it, but there is no way it will fit.

I remember the times of sitting and knitting and drinking tea. The talk and the laughter! Thank you Diane, for a wonderful trip down memory lane.

For more On the Needles, please visit the wonderful knitters at Judy's linky on PatchworkTimes.

6 comments:

  1. Great story about a lovely sweater- You make beautiful things Ms Paula..
    Regards, Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great surprise! Cherished memories in one small package.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great story!! and beautiful sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post. Only a true friend would keep a sweater that many years!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gift of love! The sweater is so very pretty; thanks for sharing this heartwarming story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A fun story! And how nice that the sweater lasted this long.

    ReplyDelete