06 May 2014

Ruffly Borders


Way back in 1992, I finished this quilt. It was the second quilt I ever made. I was ambitious. My step-grandmother, Vera, made the football shapes including the muslin. But that was all there was. I drafted and redrafted the centers where the posies are painted before I got one that fit right. The medallion portion of this quilt was all hand pieced and I painted the posies and leaves. Not knowing any better, I measured for the borders on the sides and not through the center. And I STILL didn't notice the ruffly borders before hand quilting this 83"x83" quilt using the same posy as I painted on the medallion.

And so, this quilt is what it is, because I am not removing the hand quilting (through a polyester batting no less) to take the wave out of the borders. Nope, not going to happen.

I had to explain about the quilt itself before I could tell you that I finally got the quilt hanging system installed so I can put quilts up on the wall that reaches from the basement to the cathedral ceiling. I still need to fiddle with the pulleys a bit, but all-in-all I love the way it works and looks. This quilt is actually the only one in the house with a hanging sleeve and so it was the first one to go onto the wall. I hope by hanging it for a while some of the creases and ruffling will subside.

3 comments:

  1. So nice to see a beautiful quilt hanging on the wall being appreciated for the beauty it is .. I am impressed that you hand quilted that large quilt and worked so hard to get the quilt finished. It is lovely and I bet looks stunning hanging on the wall.
    Thanks for sharing your quilt journey..
    Warmest regards,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful! It's history makes it even more precious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so beautiful, I always tell myself hand crafted isn't perfect, I love the story!
    Bicki

    ReplyDelete