Time has gotten away from me. My summer essentially been put on hold. At the beginning of June, I slipped off the tailgate of a pickup into soft soil. I'm not sure what really happened but I heard and felt a pop in my knee. The orthopedic doc thought it could be a torn ACL but an MRI determined that there is a vertical crack at the top of the tibia (shin bone) right behind the knee cap. 😥 I'm glad it's not the ACL but now I have to be on crutches for 8 weeks with no weight on my left leg at all. My days are now taken up with doctor appointments and physical therapy.
During this time I was asked if I could finish a quilt that her adoptive mother had started about 40 years ago and worked on it now and then. Her adoptive mother is now in assisted living and won't finish it. I said yes so she sent it to me. After all, I'm supposed to stay off my feet and this is something I can do sitting down.
It is a largish quilt made by someone who did not make quilts. The blocks are Sunbonnet Sue blocks that measure 13.5". These blocks are appliqued by machine onto a blue sheet. It was sandwiched using a very thin but stiff polyester batt and a pink sheet and hand basted.
The muslin appliqued blocks were then hand quilted.
It's unfortunate that there are so many puckers on the back that finishing it in this condition wasn't possible.
I got permission to take it apart and remake it. The first thing I did was to remove the basting and then the quilting stitches and then the block.
I have removed all the little threads and washed both the blue sheet and pink sheet.
Stay tuned. I'll talk more about this project.