26 October 2022

October 2022


We have had a spectacularly long fall! The leaves have been so vibrant and have stayed on the trees much longer than usual. I took this picture this morning and right now the wind has come up and the majority of them are now on the ground. Timing is everything.

I've been doing some garment sewing. To use up the shorter lengths of tshirt fabric in the fabric stash, I've been sewing tshirts for the Grandkids. I've made 6 so far. Here are the latest 3:


Last year, the 4 year old used to through his hands in the air and say "It's a MYSTERY!" whenever he didn't know something. Too funny.

Still working on Project Linus blankets. 

Yarn: Caron Simply Soft; 945 yardsNeedles: US size 8
Size: 30x36"
Pattern: Sunny Blanket by Lucie Sinkler (from Ravelry.com)
Size: 30x36"

I really like this pattern. I must since I've made 7 of them!

 Do you listen to audiobooks? I do when I'm sewing or doing something boring. I recently finished "Where The Crawdads Sing". Here is the blurb from Goodreads: 

For years, rumors of the "Marsh Girl" haunted Barkley Cove, a quiet fishing village. Kya Clark is barefoot and wild; unfit for polite society. So in late 1969, when the popular Chase Andrews is found dead, locals immediately suspect her.

But Kya is not what they say. A born naturalist with just one day of school, she takes life's lessons from the land, learning the real ways of the world from the dishonest signals of fireflies. But while she has the skills to live in solitude forever, the time comes when she yearns to be touched and loved. Drawn to two young men from town, who are each intrigued by her wild beauty, Kya opens herself to a new and startling world—until the unthinkable happens.

In Where the Crawdads Sing, Owens juxtaposes an exquisite ode to the natural world against a profound coming of age story and haunting mystery. Thought-provoking, wise, and deeply moving, Owens’s debut novel reminds us that we are forever shaped by the child within us, while also subject to the beautiful and violent secrets that nature keeps.

The story asks how isolation influences the behavior of a young woman, who like all of us, has the genetic propensity to belong to a group. The clues to the mystery are brushed into the lush habitat and natural histories of its wild creatures.

Me: What a good book!


3 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:55 PM

    I agree! Fantastic book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I wish you weren't Anonymous.

      Delete
  2. I watched the movie on Netflix. It was good. I don't know why I thought it was an old book that people were reading when I was in high school.

    ReplyDelete