27 September 2006

I'm ahead of the game

190428619

or really, really behind. I prefer to think that I'm ahead; it's the glass half-full, positive spin I try to put on things. I started this quilt in 1995 (I think). The pattern name was "Snowman Collector" but I changed it; "Holiday" sounded much better to me. It was a block of the month from a LQS that has since gone out of business and was the first BOM that I ever did. Sorry about the photo quality; I really must find a better place to take photos of the larger quilts. This is one of the quilts I quilted on my domestic sewing machine. The blocks have a meander behind the applique and then I used clear thread and stitched just inside the applique. The sashings are quilting with a medium meander that pauses now and then for a mitten (that's because the backing is a mitten fabric). The blue and the red borders are meandered but the tree border is quilted with replicas of the pieced trees. I really had fun quilting this one.

I did try something new when I bound this quilt. I used Ricky Tims' technique of adding piping to the binding, but I used a rick-rak that matched that outer red border and the binding instead of piping. It turned out pretty well and I think I might try that technique again. The funny thing about his technique is that when I first started quilting I added binding (minus the piping) just his way and then I discovered Harriet Hargrave's technique of one really long binding strip and sewing off the corner that I absolutely love. I guess we go full circle don't we? What was once old is new again.

8 comments:

  1. More like right on time -- I really need to start thinking about Christmas and any projects that need to be made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great Christmas quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fantastic and all ready for the holidays and beyond actually--it snows in January too! Well rarely in Alabama but you know what I mean, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well - 1995 isn't TOO old! And it is done now - in time for this winter, yeah! It is a very cute pattern, timeless in a fun sort-ov wintery way, so you don't even have to tell about the starting date if you didn't want to! LOL.

    Cheeers!

    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your Snowman's Holiday quilt! So fun. Rhapsody is quite the little helper, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute! I have that pattern, but have never made it. I thought the individual blocks would be cute little wall hangings for gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you're right on time, also. And, I love that you changed the title to Snowman Holiday - perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Paula, love the snowman quilt! But then I love everything about snowmen..LOL
    Isn't it amazing how much we continue to learn and refine as we go forward making more quilts...Hugs, finn

    ReplyDelete