19 March 2017

The Quilt

Well. That didn't work.

That stinking green inner border bled.

That effectively takes this quilt out of any show or competition. Yes, I had planned on putting it in one or two. Not now.

I went to the store and bought 3 boxes of Color catchers and hand basted them over the border and washed the quilt to help remove more of the color. I air dried the quilt. That worked, somewhat.

Then I found some of Grandma's Secret Spot Remover. I used it on two of the lighter areas and it took them out. So I moved on to a darker spot. I've been following the directions: rub Grandma's into the spot and wait 5-10 minutes before washing. Except instead of washing I have been placing the area over an empty bucket and pouring water on it until it drips out the back side. Then I let it air dry. It is working, but oh so ever slowly. I have almost gone through a whole bottle and the spot is still there.

My next thing to try is a bleach pen. Yes, I know this is harsh but....
I bought a brand new bottle of hydrogen peroxide. Did you know that hydrogen peroxide neutralizes chlorine? One part hydrogen peroxide to 10 parts water in case you want to know. The reason I bought a new, unopened bottle is that hydrogen peroxide, after opening, looses it's effectiveness over time. I want this to be as strong as I can get it.

Here is where this is today. Picture #1 is where I started. Picture #2 is with Grandma's Secret Spot Remover. Picture #3 is with the bleach pen. I think is is good enough to hang on my wall but not for shows. Comments?

Picture #1

Picture #2

Picture #3

9 comments:

  1. Paula, check out this site from Vicki Welsh about saving color runs in quilts
    http://www.colorwaysbyvicki.com/save-my-bleeding-quilt.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes was going to tell you about the same site

      Delete
  2. Oh, Paula! You must have been heartsick! It looks pretty good, now, though. So sorry this happened. You just never know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy beat me to it -- I was going to suggest you check Vicki's bleeding quilt resource. Can't count how many people have said it saved their quilts . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always a heart-sick feeling when a quilt bleeds but you seem to have things well in hand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear about and see the the damage the bleeding caused. I wish I knew of an effective solution, but none come to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a bummer. BUT, you've done a great job fixing it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard that Dawn dishwashing detergent helps. The other option is to add spots of yellow throughout the quilt so it looks like it is there on purpose!

    ReplyDelete