At Christmas time I was asked to make some doll-baby blankets. The other Grandma had bought some American Girl dolls for her two grand-daughters. One of those little girls happens to be my grand-daughter as well.
I have already given Addy a big girl quilt and I found these leftover blocks in the stash to make this doll-baby quilt.
Addy's doll-baby quilt
Both were quilted on my Handi Quilter Sweet Sixteen.
That effectively takes this quilt out of any show or competition. Yes, I had planned on putting it in one or two. Not now.
I went to the store and bought 3 boxes of Color catchers and hand basted them over the border and washed the quilt to help remove more of the color. I air dried the quilt. That worked, somewhat.
Then I found some of Grandma's Secret Spot Remover. I used it on two of the lighter areas and it took them out. So I moved on to a darker spot. I've been following the directions: rub Grandma's into the spot and wait 5-10 minutes before washing. Except instead of washing I have been placing the area over an empty bucket and pouring water on it until it drips out the back side. Then I let it air dry. It is working, but oh so ever slowly. I have almost gone through a whole bottle and the spot is still there.
My next thing to try is a bleach pen. Yes, I know this is harsh but....
I bought a brand new bottle of hydrogen peroxide. Did you know that hydrogen peroxide neutralizes chlorine? One part hydrogen peroxide to 10 parts water in case you want to know. The reason I bought a new, unopened bottle is that hydrogen peroxide, after opening, looses it's effectiveness over time. I want this to be as strong as I can get it.
Here is where this is today. Picture #1 is where I started. Picture #2 is with Grandma's Secret Spot Remover. Picture #3 is with the bleach pen. I think is is good enough to hang on my wall but not for shows. Comments?
Other than bunion surgery, nothing has been happening here. The surgery is the culprit. Since my sewing room is in the basement, I couldn't negotiate the stairs with the air cast on my foot. And let's talk about using the foot pedal to the sewing machine. Not! It is my right foot, so I can't drive either. Can we say that I have been effectively curtailed?
I did get a lot of experimental knitting done, but nothing to show for it since I frogged it all.
In my defense, I am very well rested now.
Soon (I hope) the cast will be just a memory and I can go back to my daily life again.
This was my Christmas present! Hubby and I decided to do this in lieu of other gifts. We had to get an electrician in to pull a 120 line since there was only 210. Then we had to get the tile guy in to drill a hole in the tile for the gas line. Then we had to have a gas line pulled. After all of that, this got delivered and I am in seventh heaven. I don't think the old electric ceramic top range would have made it too many more days.
Really there is! I am soaking a quilt per the instructions from Vicki Welsh's tutorial: Save My Bleeding Quilt. The water has already changed color. I am soaking it for 12 hours because I want all that dye to release. I'll keep you updated.